We recently announced the Wildlife Acoustics Scientific Grant Program. We’ve gotten several requests for such a program from our customers and we are very happy to bring it to fruition. In line with our mission to advance the conservation of animals through bioacoustics recording technology, we will be awarding up to $5,000 every calendar quarter of product-in-kind grants to biologists, researchers, conservationists or students who work for tax exempt, non-profit organizations.
We realize you may have a number of questions about the program regarding eligibility, products available, the application process, and more. While most of the information you need is available here, we’ll address some major questions below.
Who is eligible to apply?
Anyone associated with a tax-exempt, non-profit organization (students, teachers, professional researchers, etc) is eligible for our grant program.
How do I apply?
You may download the application here, and email us at the address indicated on the application form.
How often can I apply?
You may apply every quarter. If you have already been awarded a grant from us, you may still apply as long as all requirements from the previously awarded grant have been met.
What if I need more than $5,000 worth of product?
While we are limiting the grant to a maximum of $5,000 per quarter, you are welcome to apply in the following quarters for more product, or seek other sources of financial support to purchase our products. Please note that the grant amount awarded may not be applied to the partial cost of a product.
What are you looking for?
Our criteria are as follows:
- Project makes significant use of bioacoustics for data collection and/or analysis.
- The work advances scientific knowledge and contributes to long-term conservation.
- The grant award would have significant impact on the success of the project.
- The grant request provides adequate information to evaluate the project, including detailed expected outcomes and use of bioacoustics data to support those outcomes.
- The project should begin in the year that the application is submitted, or in the following year if the application is submitted in the off-season.
What are the grant deadlines?
- 2015 Q3 deadline: August 31, 2015
- 2015 Q4 deadline: November 30, 2015
- 2016 Q1 deadline: February 15, 2016
- 2016 Q2 deadline: May 15, 2016
When will the grants be awarded?
Grants will be awarded to recipients a month after each application deadline.
How will the grant recipients be chosen?
A committee of Wildlife Acoustics staff members will meet regularly to review and discuss the submissions. Recipients will be chosen based on how well they meet the selection criteria.
Good luck, and we look forward to reading about your projects!