Song Sleuth Support Articles
What are the best ways to maximize accuracy?
- get the clearest recording you can, with the target sound isolated from other sounds, and with a half-second or more of typical background noise at the beginning of the recording (and it works best with live birds outdoors, not so well with playback of recorded sounds indoors)
- filtering the sound by zooming in on the frequency of the target sound (spreading your fingers top to bottom) will help isolate the sound and improve accuracy
- cropping (or trimming) a recording to cut out extraneous sounds at the beginning or end also helps to get the correct ID
- shorter recordings are actually better than long (but you can make a long recording and then crop it)
- It's a collaboration between you and the app, don't expect perfect accuracy on the first try, and remember that the app does not attempt to identify short chips and squeaks
- Enjoy it, learn from it, and let us know how it's working