Android Device Compatibility
- Android OS version 6.0 or later.
- An OS version later than 6.0 is not a guarantee that the device is compatible, see the list below.
- The Echo Meter Touch app will not load on devices running any version of Android Go.
- At least 1 GB of total RAM.
- At least 600 MB of storage for buffering the spectrogram.
- OTG compatibility. There are many free apps that can check such as OTG?.
- A micro-USB connector or a USB-C connector (USB-C requires an adapter, see section below).
- If a device is not listed, that does not mean it does not work. It means that we do not yet have enough information to know if it works correctly with the Echo Meter Touch 2. There are thousands of Android devices so we cannot test everything.
- The compatibility list is subject to change. As devices become older, they may have increased difficulty running EMT with newer versions of OS. We do not guarantee compatibility with the list below, but we do offer a thirty day money back guarantee. Please be aware of any return policies for any Android phones or tablets purchased to use with Echo Meter Touch. Wildlife Acoustics is not responsible for any warranty or guarantee of compatibility with Android devices.
USB Adapters and extensions:
Extension and adapter stubs:
- If you have a phone or tablet with a USB-C connector, you need an adapter stub. At this time, we have found only three female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter that work with the EMT2. They are available at Amazon in the US and UK. Search for “Arktek” or “Tronsmart" USB C to Micro USB Adapter. Make sure it is USB Type C (male) to Micro USB (female). Verify in the photo that it is a female micro-USB and male USB-C before purchase. We will continue to test new adapter stubs and add to this list if we find more compatible adapters.
- If you have phone or tablet with a micro-USB connector but have a case that interferes with the EMT2, then you need a micro-USB extension stub or extension cable. Most brands will work, though we have had occasional reports of ones that don't, so you will have to test after purchase.
- To use the EMT2 at some distance from your phone or tablet, you need an extension cable.
- If your device has a micro-USB connector, then you need a micro-USB extension cable or stub (female micro-USB to male micro-USB). Different brands are hit or miss and they change regularly so you will need to purchase and test to find one that works. One brand that definitely does not work is YCS Basics. We have had good luck with the TUSITA brand.
- BQ Aquaris U
- BQ Aquaris U Plus
- Google Pixel and Pixel 2 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- HTC 10 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- HTC U11 **EMT2 Pro model only*** (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Motorola Moto E4, G4, G4s Plus, G5, G5 Plus, G5s and X4 (Some models will only work with the Echo Meter Touch 2 Pro at 256k sample rate.)
- Nexus 5x (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Samsung Galaxy A3 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Samsung Galaxy A6
- Samsung Galaxy A40 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Samsung Galaxy J3 V, 3rd Generation
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Galaxy S8, S9 and S10 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Sony Xperia XZ3 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Xiaomi Mi A1
- Xiaomi Mi Max 2
- Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet (8th generation) - The app is available through the Amazon Appstore.
- Google Pixel C (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Lenovo Tab 7
- Lenovo Tab 7 Essential model TB-7304F
- Lenovo Yoga Tab 3
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and S3
- Motorola Moto G3 and G4 Play
- OPPO F1
- All Huawei phones: Huawei phones have a technical issue with the USB system that prevents the Echo Meter Touch Ultrasonic Module from being able to stream data.
- All Amazon Fire tablets other than Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet (8th generation)
- Huawei T3
Hit or Miss Devices:
Due to inconsistencies in these devices hardware or operating systems, they will either work perfectly or not recognize the module at all and we cannot predict which.
- Oneplus 3 (requires female micro-USB to male USB-C adapter)
- Samsung Galaxy S5
- Sony Xperia XA
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7
Android Troubleshooting Tips
Things to try if your Android device does not recognize the Echo Meter Touch Ultrasonic Module:
- If you are using a micro-USB to USB-C adapter, verify that it is a compatible adapter as described in the section below. Also try reversing the adapter in the phone.
- Verify that your phone fulfils the requirements, including OTG compatibility, list above.
- Try changing the USB configuration. This procedure gives the Android device's USB system a bit of a reset if it has gotten into a bad state and has shown pretty good success at fixing devices that are not recognizing the module at all (will not show the START button in Live Mode) and also devices that do recognize the device but only show a black spectrogram.
- Close all apps.
- Figure 1: Open the Settings app and go to System > About phone, or a similar menu, depending on your Android version
- Figure 2: Find the "Build number" entry and tap on it repeatedly several times (you will get a countdown as you tap). You should get a notification saying that developer options have been enabled.
- Figure 3: In the System menu, go Developer Options.
- Figure 4: Select USB Configuration
- Figure 5: In this menu, change the option from whatever is currently selected to a different option, other than "Charging", we recommend trying "Media Transfer", "RNDIS" or "MIDID". The actual choice is not so important as the device will reset to what is needed for any attached device. Just the nature of changing this setting, resets the USB system.
- Restart the phone.
- Open the EMT app and plug the module in.
- If nothing improves with the above procedure at, try changing the USB Configuration and then restarting the phone a couple more times. We have see cases where a phone started working perfectly after repeating these steps a few times.
iOS Device Compatibility
The devices listed below are compatible with Echo Meter Touch 2 and Echo Meter Touch 2 Pro with iOS version 10 or higher. There is no guarantee that future iOS versions (released each year in the fall) will work on older devices on this list so it may be necessary for us to remove older devices from this list occasionally.
- iPhone X, XS, XR, and XS Max
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPad Pro (all models excluding the new third generation of iPad Pros that replace the Lightning connector with a USB-C connector, we are working to determine if we can make the Android model compatible with those models)
- iPad (all models released after March 2017)
- iPad Air 2 and third generation
- iPad Mini 4
- iPod Touch (6th generation)
Lightning Adapter Compatibility:
- If you need an extender so you can plug the module though a thick case, we recommend the CableJive or Cellularize brand of extender. Both are available from Amazon in the US and the UK.
- We recommend the CableJive brand or Cellularize brand of Lightning extender cables. Both are available from Amazon in the US and the UK. They are available in multiple lengths and can be daisy chained. Be advised that there are several brands that do not work. Also, some brands only work in one orientation, so you may need to flip the cable over in the lightning port for it to work.